Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fall is also working with clay

When I am teaching art, I just love to introduce hand building with clay during the Fall, particularly close to Halloween. I have had many parents tell me they have a collection of all of their children's clay pieces on the mantle of their fireplace. I am currently working on writing a document about the basics of working with clay. I prefer using clay from Lizella Clay company because it is mined and made here in Georgia. In fact, I can drive to pick up fresh clay whenever I need some. I enjoy teaching my young students how to make pinch pots that become pumpkins and jack o"lanterns. We glaze with an orange glaze that melts in the kiln when fired to become permanent. A tea candle can be placed inside. More to come about the clay- Mizz Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment